Monday, October 29, 2012

The First of the Bunch: Black and Decker Lawnhog MM675 Electric Lawn Mower

The Lawnhog MM675 Electric Lawn Mower by Black and Decker

The newest addition to my garage in summer of 2004 was the Lawnhog MM675 18 Inch Electric Lawn Mower by Black and Decker. This model is actually a mulcher and one of the first I've tried out. Why did I wait so long? I don't like getting green feet. Yeah, stupid reason but with five kids running around, that's hell on the carpet when they come in.

It's time, however, to give the mulcher a shot to see how it impacts the lawn. I purchased this mower in May 2004 to prepare for summer and a long spring kept me from trying it out until late June. It was worth it! I hate bagging to be honest, I'm lazy that way I guess and I don't like mowers that just spew grass all over the place.

I expected this electric mower to just blow grass out the side like the old gas monsters would but instead it seems to gently deposit it slightly off-center after chopping it finely. It's pretty neat and I'm told this helps fertilize the grass in some sort of cannibalistic fashion. Whatever works to keep that grass nice! You can also switch to bagging and spewing if you feel like it.

If you read my first post, you know how I feel about cords. They...well...I hate them but it's fun to watch others mow over them rendering their mower useless. This was one of my earlier electrics but I'll always think of it fondly and I hope the duct tape on the cord held up for the person I sold it too until they got a replacement cord.

Here's some basic things to know about the Lawnhog MM675 Electric Lawn Mower


  • Weighs 46 Pounds
  • 12 Amp Motor
  • Cuts between 1" and 3.5 "
  • 3 Cutting modes: Mulch, bag and blast grass out the side
  • Flip Handle: Kind of a neat feature to avoid rotating the mower and avoiding the cord
  • Has a Cord, watch out!
  • Chews up rough areas and sticks very well
These are the primary things I think need to be known about this bad boy. There's some other technical specs but surely you'll see those if you decide to buy one of these one day, even though it's fairly old and may not be available at all unless through a reseller. I'll link one at the bottom of this page one day if I don't forget.

Over the summer of '04 I developed quite a nice relationship with this mower, I learned it's pros and cons and really did my best to push it to the limits as I was still new to the electric lawn care world. I ran over sticks, mowed wet grass and even big weeds just to see what would happen. This thing really IS a lawnhog. It blows through midsized sticks with ease and even the occasional rock didn't seem to hurt the blade. I do sharpen once a month (habit) so I never had the bending grass issue at all. 

The only downside to any corded electric mower is the cord. The flip handle helps this a lot because you can position it so the cord is always on the same side to help avoid cuts.

Something I can't quite figure out is what the heck Ron, my neighbor was using when I bought this Lawnhog. It was solid black, I can swear to that and it was definitely a Black and Decker corded electric mower. Maybe he painted it? He's a bit off, that's possible...


No comments:

Post a Comment